Thursday, March 01, 2007

King Lear

Texts:


Quotations:

  • Nothing will come of nothing. (Lear I.1.90)

  • Thou, Nature, art my goddess. (Edmund I.2.1)

  • Ingratitude, thou marble-hearted fiend... (Lear I.4.257)

  • How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is / To have a thankless child! (Lear I.4.287-8)

  • I am a man / More sinned against than sinning. (Lear III.2.59-60)

  • Is man no more than this? (Lear III.4.101)

  • As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; / They kill us for their sport. (Gloucester IV, 1.36-7)

  • Humanity must perforce prey on itself, / Like monsters of the deep. (Albany IV.2.50-1)

  • When we are born, we cry that we are come / To this great stage of fools. (Lear IV.6.182-3)

  • The wheel is come full circle. (Edmund V.3.177)


Contexts:

  • It's probably best to start looking around here, a Shakespeare vortal

  • KL on SparkNotes



Terms:

tragedy, English Renaissance theatre, Elizabethan tragedy, Jacobean tragedy, tragic curve, peripeteia, tragic hero, fatal flaw, hubris, anagnorisis, catharsis, soliloquy.

No comments: